THE FLOURISH FEST
Celebrating creativity as we age!
May 5th through 17th, 2013
Flourish Fest, coordinated by UWM Professor of Theatre Anne Basting, coincides with National Older Americans Month. This first festival is part of the Peck School’s Year of the Arts celebration and dovetails with the community connections that are a key component of YOA.
The arts offer us a way to see and shape the world, and to know ourselves and each other. The Flourish Fest invites you to experience the groundswell of creative, intergenerational arts programming happening in Milwaukee. Witness, talk about, and experience the power of creativity at any age..
EVENTS (check back – they are being added every day!)
Free and open to the public. Please note, some events require RSVP.
Sunday May 5th
- Museum Mile Open House! 11-4 p.m. Participating museums include: Museum of Wisconsin Art at Saint John’s On The Lake, 1800 N. Prospect; Charles Allis Art Museum, 1801 N. Prospect; Jewish Museum Milwaukee, 1360 N. Prospect; Villa Terrace Decorative Arts Museum, 2222 N. Terrace; North Point Lighthouse, 2650 N. Wahl. Throughout this May 5 event, these five arts and culture museums that comprise the Milwaukee Museum Mile will be open to the public—free at most sites and deeply discounted admissions at others. Each museum will offer free docent-led tours and light refreshments. There will be a grand prize drawing for a gift package. Free activities for children will also be available along with a Milwaukee Museum Mile scavenger hunt. A free continuous shuttle bus will be available for travel between the five locations. Participants are also welcome to park at locations where parking is available.
For more info, contact John Sterr, Charles Allis & Villa Terrace Museums, 414-276-8295, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Gan Ami and Me, a celebration and exhibit of artwork created by 4 – 5 year olds in the Gan Ami nursery school and Chai Point residents.
The Gallery at Chai Point
1400 N. Prospect
Monday May 6th
- Interfaith Art Exhibit - Winners of the Interfaith Art Competition - Gallery show of 25 Senior Artists. 2nd floor atrium, Eastcastle Place
2505 East Bradford
Runs through May 17th
Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Thursday May 9th
- Memories in the Making Art Exhibit and Reception featuring Becky Pruscko
The Residence at the Milwaukee Catholic Home
2463 N. Prospect Ave.
4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Springdances: Impermanence, a performance and discussion for older audiences. Featuring work by UWM Dance faculty and students.
UWM, Mitchell Hall, RM 254
3202 N. Downer Ave.
10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- TimeSlips Storytelling Celebration
In the Communal Dining Room
Sacred Heart @ Monastery Lake
Senior Independent Living
7350 S. Lovers Lane Road, Franklin, WI
Time TBD. RSVP to email@example.com
Friday May 10th
- Memories in the Making Art Exhibit, Champagne Reception, and Talk Back with Alz. Assoc’s Nancy Armitage. Exhibit features artful expression of memories painted by residents with memory loss.
Lower Level Community Room
Saint John’s on the Lake
1840 N. Prospect
3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Imaginative Constructions, Art exhibit and reception, featuring a collaborative artmaking experience between residents with memory loss and UWM art education students. Come celebrate the artists and view images from our collaboration during the reception.
Uihlein Peters Gallery, Lower Level Community Room
St. John's on the Lake
1840 N. Prospect
2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m
Saturday May 11th
- Intergenerational Art-making workshop for families.
United Community Center’s Adult Day Center
1028 S. 9th St.
9:30 a.m. to Noon
RSVP to NelvaO@unitedcc.org
Monday May 13th
TimeSlips Celebration! A morning tea with scones and sharing of creative stories told by residents. Special presentation by Anne Basting, founder of TimeSlips, an internationally recognized storytelling program which replaces the pressure to remember with the freedom to imagine.
Lindsay Hall, EastCastle Place
2505 E. Bradford
10:00 a.m. to Noon
Friday May 17th
- Opening Champagne Reception for “A Community Affair: An Exhibit of Photographs by Residents, Staff, Family & Friends of Saint John’s on the Lake.”
Uihlein Peter Gallery, Saint Johns on the Lake.
1840 N. Prospect.
3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Show continues through August 11th